Re: Folder Icons

Kevin> "Fox, Kevin M" wrote:

Kevin> If you get into the metadata stuff, you start to have the MAC
Kevin> #1 flaw. Data forks. To copy a file over the internet with
Kevin> metadata intact, you have to use a program like stuffit to copy
Kevin> it. Please do not go this direction. :)

We already have metadata.  See gnome-libs/libgnome/gnome-metadata.[ch].

Yes, we're aware of the various flaws, drawbacks, and tradeoffs
associated with metadata.  It still seems like a good idea in some
situations.

Having an icon associated with a directory in MC seems like one of
these situations to me.  The icon isn't critical information (the
directory will still work without it), and you probably really want
the icon to be per-user and not global.  Metadata satisfies these
constraints.

Tom