Re: Call for constructive user criticism.

>   + I don't see any reason why the panel has to be glued to an edge.
>     I can easily envision a screen layout that has two edge panels,
>     one below the other, along the top of the screen.  For example,
>     the top panel could be devoted to applets, while the lower panel
>     could be devoted to holding iconized applications.

Something I found by accident in Enlightenment (I don't know about other
Window Managers but I'd guess they have similar functionality).
If you use the Enlightenment pager (the fancy one that has pretty pictures
of the screen in it), moving a panel is simply a matter of clicking the
pager representation of it and dragging it to where you want. If you don't
use the E pager, just hold down ALT and drag the actual pager around the
place.
This way you can easily stack the panels (just don't click on the
hidebuttons, or it'll return to the edge/corner it's "locked" in)

Iain