RE: Integrated Directory Service.

Maybe there should be an abstraction layer API that would seat on top of
whatever directory services are available on the network (LDAP, NDS, NT
Domain, whatever). In that way, a directory service supplier would make
available a driver to their product that would be compliant with the "Gnome
directory service API".

Nothing was done regarding the issue of a directory service for GNOME so,
this is the oportunity to get it right. If you look at Microsoft systems
you'll see that there are several Directory services: a directory service
for authentication of users in a Domain (allowing for access to files or
printers in the domain), a separate directory for Exchange/Outlook, etc..
This could even be worked out with the KDE ppl because, as far as I know,
they also don't have an integrated directory service.

I'd love to work on such a project. However I don't really have the time
(and I'm not that good programmer).

Jorge.