Re: Integrated Directory Service.

allbery@ece.cmu.edu wrote:

> On  2 Aug, Jorge Gomes Silva wrote:
> +-----
> | Are there any plans for integrating a directory service into Gnome ?
> | I think that is a "must" if Gnome wants to find a place in the enterprise.
> +--->8
>
> The derision quotes are appropriate :)
>
> GNOME should *use* directory services.  It should NOT define its own,
> nor should it have some preferred "integrated" directory service.
> Please try to remember that some of us run GNOME on platforms that are
> not Linux, and which include their own directory services; and
> that enterprise sites generally have directory services in place
> already and it is GNOME that will have to adapt to them, not vice versa.

Ok, but should this be a GNOME thing, or an app thing? A library which
accomplishes this would be nice, as it allows for app authors to easily
code directory interfaces, but the core GNOME libraries are not the
place for this (why load things into memory only one or two apps will
use?).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill