Re: Call for constructive user criticism.

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
>    So there I was, watching Animal Planet with a special issue on
> Bonobos.  Interesting documentary, and it ocurred to me:  How can we
> make GNOME so simple that even a Bonobo could use it?
>
>    Here is what we need:
>
>    1. A team of *users* that would tell us what they would like to see
>       in GNOME:
>
>       a. To make the interface easier.
>       b. To make it more intuitive to people.
>       c. To make the system more consistent.
>       d. To make the system "nicer".
>       e. To make GNOME the best user interface out there.
>       f. To improve the documentation of GNOME.
>
>    2. A team coordinator that would compile and maintain all of these
>       ideas and comments.  He would need to provide a document on the
>       web to allow the developers to address those usability issues.
>
>    3. We need people to coordinate with this person.
>
>    4. We need the first draft to evolve "naturally".  This means,
>       there is no need to wait for years to get the perfect document
>       done.  Get a draft out in two days and keep updating it.  It
>       does not need to address everything at the beginning and it can
>       change from day to day.
>
> * On the document
>
>    We would like this document to include precise steps on what can be
> done to achieve a certain goal.
>
>    For example, saying "Make it easy" on the document will be a very
> difficult thing to implement or to guess what it does.
>
>    The more concrete you can be, the better.  For example "Change XXX
> in the YYY location to do ZZZZ instead of JJJJJ; I think this can be
> done by hacking a piece of code here and there and integrating there"
> would be excellent.
>
> * On Consistency:
>
>    The thing that bothers me is that we have for example two ways of
> "docking" applications in GNOME: on the Desktop and on the Panel.  We
> have various ways of printing: with the print applet or with the print
> toy-lette.
>
>    Is this a problem?  Do people mind?  Or do people applaud this
> duality?
>
> * On usability
>
>    We want to make existing users of Mac, Windows and Next feel
> confortable with a Unix-based system and feel productive and feel like
> they are using the best tools out there.  So they can go with their
> friends and honestly say "Your proprietary system is ancient; Not only
> ancient but complex, I use GNOME at home".  You get the idea.
>

> * Coordination
>
>    The coordintion can take place in gnome-list@gnome.org, or in the
> gnome-gui-list@gnome.org.
>
>    For documentation related issues, you can contact Dave
> (dcm@redhat.com) directly, he is coordinating the GNOME documentation
> effort.
>
> * Notes
>
>    We can not do big interface "leaps" quickly, but we can try.  We
> are certainly interested in things that would be more consistent in
> the short term as well.

> [...]

Well, I am willing to work on this project, in any facility, even the
coordination position, and have plenty of time to donate to this
project. I for one believe that GNOME definately needs this :-).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill