Re: mounting/unmounting devices for newbies

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:00:58 -0400, you wrote:

>you all are talking about autounmounting and such, I would like to
>play with this a little, maybe I will learn something.  What file do I
>need to edit in /etc to change these options?

I'm still learning. Not too sure what I'm doing, but it seems to be
coming together slowly. Very steep learning curve w/o manual.

Note: this is for a single user system.

/etc/fstab:

/dev/hda6   /           ext2     defaults        1 1
/dev/hda5   /boot       ext2     defaults        1 2
/dev/hda7   swap        swap     defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy ext2     noauto          0 0
/dev/cdrom	/mnt/cdrom	iso9660	 user,ro,noauto  0 0
none        /proc       proc     defaults        0 0
/dev/hda1	  /mnt/dos	  vfat	   user            1 2
/dev/hdd4	  /dev/zip	  vfat	   user,noauto     1 2

I use linuxconf to set up my system. It appears that Gnome-linuxconf
is a simpler setup but it is not documented in RH5.2. I'll be
purchasing the 6.0 for the manual and Gnome.

(This sets up the fstab file for your drives)
config->file systems->access local drive:-
  local volume tab:
	<add> (for hda1 dos partition)
	base tab:
	  partition:   /dev/hda1
	  type:        vfat
	  mount point: /mnt/dos
	options tab:
	  <set> user mountable (you can make your own selection for options)
(This will create new directory if necessary and modify fstab for
you.)
	<add> (for Zip100 IDE)
	base tab:
	  partition:	/dev/hdd4