missing panel features?

When I first ran gnome, I had neglected to install the GMC RPM. Before I
fixed this mistake my panel had four rectangles indicating virtual
desktops and minimized windows resided on the panel. It was a pretty
sight and very organized. After installing the GMC RPM I still have a
panel, but no virtual desktop indicators and minimized windows vanish to
god-knows-where. I assume it is just a matter of reinstalling one of the
RPMs but Iam not sure which one? Does this sound familiar at all/
TIA,
RAY