Re: GMC problem, and theming GIMP

>> It appears that gmc only looks for directories 1 deep at
>> initialization (other than current directory). I would prefer that
>> it know about sub-directories, even if it is not displaying
>> (expanding)
>
>If you are only talking about when it initializes, I'm okay with
>that, and I really mean initializes and only on invocation on the
>home directory.
>
>Otherwise, I would not want to see this.  For instance, if you did
>that on a tree that consists of automounter mounts this would be a
>bad thing.  It would try to mount all over the place.  Already GTK
>does this in their file dialog box.  If I tried to do a
>filecompletion it will mount every directory it can.  I don't see
>this as the right thing to do on "system" directories.  GNOME isn't
>always going to run on private linux boxes, GNOME should be able to
>run on a full corporate/educational network environment.  Doing
>these sort of things would really slow things down.

There are two alternatives here:

1) If directories which are mount points can be detected by gmc,
use a new symbol in addition to + and - to indicate an automount
directory (so the user knows that there may be subdirectories, but
they're going to have to mount the device to find out). The same
would be useful for GTK - don't automount a device unless the user
"enters" its directory heirarchy.

2) If there is no way for gmc to identify mount points, get rid of
the + symbols completely. They don't work properly with mount points,
and mount points are ideally transparent (especially for non-
removable media). The user would have to open a directory to see
if it has subdirs. This would be less friendly (and less like Windows
Exploder), but it would produce consistent behaviour.

  - Michael Rogers