Re: Netscape and Gnome

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Nils Jeppe wrote:

> > Now I'm running RH 5.2 on a Pentium 133 with 16 meg. , is the problem a
> > configuration of the hardware or software? And is there a way to make
> > Netscape stop shutting down and locking up the system?
>
> Well... 16 MB is really very, very, very little. I ran a P60 with 64MB and
> still sometimes the thing starts swapping. Netscape alone eats up about
> 15MB of RAM... sometimes more. Add to that another 10-15 MB of Ram that
> X11 ate on my machine... So I would say that with 16 MB you can NOT expect
> Linux to perform efficently.

I had a linux on a 486 80 12MB with like 24MB swap.  It was primarily a
web server, but I would sometimes run xemacs or netscape off it and export
the display across campus to my machine.  While it was not exactly fast,
it certianly didn't take 4 minutes to load.  It was actually fairly
usable.  granted I am going from memory and don't have it up anymore, but
I wouldn't expect a 133 with 16 to be quite so bad.

-chris

Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment.