Re: Netscape and Gnome

You're probably swapping.  Gnome is nice, but at this point it is
an incredible memory hog... it drives me nuts on my machine with
90 megs of RAM; I can't imagine the pain of running it with 16 megs.

There is a Linux utility, "top" that will tell you what is happening
with your memory usage - in particular how much swap and real memory
are in use.  Try running this in an xterm while you start up these
programs and you'll get a feel for what's going on.

Note: the only worse memory hog than Gnome is Netscape - NS is
efficient at first but it has had a memory leak for years... it
keeps growing and growing...

For low memory systems I use QVWM or WindowMaker and avoid
netscape....

Mark

   On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Krieger, Frank wrote:

   > 1.	Netscape takes four minutes to launch....no lie, four minutes.

   Really four minutes? As in, you actually took the time?

   > 2.	When I attempt to download a large file, like WordPerfect,
   > Netscape runs out of memory....(And I've already allocated more under
   > the control panel)

   How big are your swap partition(s)? What other software is loaded at the
   same time? And what does "allocated more under the control panel" mean - I
   didn't think you could assign any fixed amount of RAM to any specific
   task/program? (OK maybe I am ust wrong here.)

   > Now I'm running RH 5.2 on a Pentium 133 with 16 meg. , is the problem a
   > configuration of the hardware or software? And is there a way to make
   > Netscape stop shutting down and locking up the system?

   Well... 16 MB is really very, very, very little. I ran a P60 with 64MB and
   still sometimes the thing starts swapping. Netscape alone eats up about
   15MB of RAM... sometimes more. Add to that another 10-15 MB of Ram that
   X11 ate on my machine... So I would say that with 16 MB you can NOT expect
   Linux to perform efficently.

   I would really suggest you get at least another 16 MB... if you can, get a
   total of 64 MB. Yes those old PS/2 Simms are expensive nowadays, so be
   weary (The cheapest go for about US$35 per 16MB chip here in Germany).

   Nils

   --
   I hope my damage didn't take any brain.

   --