Unresolved symbol in libgnomeui.so.32

I'm really trying to get Gnome installed but it's proving to be challenging!
I've finally got everything installed - I think - but when I attempt to
start Gnome I receive the following message:

/usr/lib/libgnomeui.so32 - Unresolved symbol gdk_imlib_get_cache_info

I'm pretty sure this is it as it vanishes fairly quickly.

Please help.  I'd really like to use Gnome but it's quite frustrating.

I installed it from the rpms dated April 15 on a stock Redhat 5.2 system on
an Intel box.

Please respond directly to me as well as the archive.

Thanks in advance.