I concede (somewhat) on the 'Logout Problem'

>From the responses that I've seen relating to the 'logout problem', I
can see that there are some legit reasons for letting the window
manager exit by itself using the root menu, and that the best way, at
least for now, perhaps to log out of GNOME using the root menu is to
add a menu item with 'save-session --kill' as the command to execute.
However, I do have a  suggestion for the GNOME team.

Inform future users of GNOME that the "Logout" menu item of many window
managers only exits the window manager. The best place to do this is
probably the part of the www.gnome.org site that tells new users how to
install GNOME, perhaps right after the part that tells new users to add
'exec gnome-session' to the .xinitrc/.Xclients file. This will help
minimize surprise when a new user clicks on 'Logout' on the root menu
and finds that it doesn't do what they expect it to.

Further, provide instructions on how to configure some common window
managers so that

1) their "Exit" or "Logout" menu item reads something like "Exit WM
only"

2) they have an extra item, labelled something like "Exit Gnome
Session" which executes 'save-session --kill'.

Instructions should be provided for at least the GNOME-compliant WMs,
such as Enlightenment, Window Maker, or IceWM, and possibly some common
non-compliant ones that a new user might be likely to use, such as
FVWM, since it's still pretty ubiquitous (and since it's not that easy
to configure, the user probably could use some instruction in order to
configure it), and perhaps Afterstep and Blackbox, as well. Of course,
it's not feasible to provide instructions for all the WMs, but this
should at least give the user an idea of where to look.

This should probably make life a little easier for the new GNOME user.

P.S. If you wish to respond to this, please reply to or cc my e-mail
address. Right now, I'm using KDE, and although I think it has about
the elegance and ease-of-use of Windows*, at least for now, I find it
suits my needs a bit better. Since I figure I'll be using KDE for a
while, I'll be unsubscribing from this list.

I trust you guys are all kind enough to avoid the KDE vs. GNOME
flamefest:)  (As for me, I've used them both and can probably rattle
off both their faults, easily.)

*If you're not sure whether that's a compliment or an insult, the
answer is yes.

===

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----