Re: Please help!

Hi Jake,

This is easily cured.

You will need to edit your /etc/hosts file.  When you open
it, you will see immediately a line that reads:

127.0.0.1  localhost

You need to add your machine name to this line:

127.0.0.1  <your_machine_name>.<your_domain> <your_machine_name>
localhost localhost.localdomain

My looks like this:

127.0.0.1  talewis.worldnet.att.net talewis localhost
localhost.localdomain

This should straighten things out.  Let me know if you have any more
trouble.

Tim

Devore Jacob wrote:

>      When I use the startx command and have gnome-session in the .xinitrc
>      file in the root directory, logged on as root, I get the message
>
>      Registering Priority(NULL)
>
>      waiting for the xserver to shut down
>
>      and it kicks me back to the bash shell.
>
>      I am running on a digital UDB( alpha 166 ) with 128 megs of ram and a
>      4 gig scsi2 drive.  If I start x without the gnome-session x starts
>      fine with the crap 95 look alike window manager.  I am running redhat
>      linux 5.2 and the latest gnome rpms.  Enlightenment is my window
>      manager.  Please help.
>
>      jake
>
> --
begin:vcard
n:Lewis;Timothy
tel;work:760-761-4673
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.timelinevista.com
org:Timeline Vista, Inc.;Operations
adr:;;1755 La Costa Meadows Dr., Suite "B";San Marcos;CA;92069;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:tlewis@digaudio.com
title:Manufacturing Quality Engineer
fn:Timothy Lewis