Re: Gnome starts slowly

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, F Nowé wrote:
> Last mail is bad
> I've a bad english sorry.
> So I've:
> Redhat 5.2 on a BH6-RivaTNT-Celeron machine with Gnome 1.0
> Gnome was installed by RPM

Which version of the RPMs?

> Between the normal and very slow starting, I've just power-off and power-on
> the machine (no reboot)
> I start Gnome by gdm
>
> gdm starts normally, I enter login and password informations.
> HERE is a long time of waiting (3-4 minutes again a few seconds before)
> before seeing icons taskbar and all.
> AFTER that, Gnome runs normally (speed).

Sometimes GNOME can take a while to start up at this point.  It sounds
like your setup is going slower than it should be.  3-4 minutes is how
long it takes my AMD5x86 (a much slower processor than a Celeron).  Are
you using Enlightenment?  How long between when the "Starting
Enlightenment" progress bar disappears and the panel appears?

> Since this problem, if I want to end gnome session, it's no way, nothing
> appends.
> To end gnome session, I switch to terminal session, login, and type
> shutdown -h now.
> It's the only way I've found to end my computer.

Have you tried going to the Foot menu and selecting "Log out"?
Have you tried opening up an xterm and typing "save-session --kill"?

Either of those should do it, if they don't than something's wrong.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef