Re: Writing a GNOME mail client.

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Zach Frey wrote:
> Ronald de Man wrote:
> > As far as I understand, Exchange Server is just IMAP with a non-standard
> > authorization and probably some extensions. (Does anyone know of a way
> > to access the server using a decent mailprogram like netscape?)

My understanding is that it is similar in concept to IMAP, but a
completely different protocol.

> but fetchmail claims to support Exchange Server, although I haven't
> tried this myself.  So, one could use fetchmail to download to the
> local MTA and then whatever you want to read mail after that.

Fetchmail's "Exchange Server support" amounts to the fact that Exchange
Server 5.0 and later includes POP3 access, and fetchmail can use this if
the feature is activiated.  Most admins using Exchange Server don't turn
this feature on because it's badly implemented, and opens up security
holes.

-Gleef