Re: GNOME Message Managment System (Storage mechanism)

Since IMAP works on the principle of storing the mail on the server, and
the ideas have been to have message <-> folder association be one to many,
it may be necessary to use a modified IMAP server that can handle the new
mailbox format.

This is the drawback of creating a new mail storage format, but if
implemented correctly it would be very flexible.  I have not looked at an
IMAP protocol specification, so don't know what is possible with it, but
it may be necessary to add an extension to add a message to another folder
without removing its other associations (unless there is a message copy
function that could be used to give this functionality).  It would be good
if the modified IMAP server would be standard.

James Henstridge.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/