applet submenu bug?

I'm using gnome-core-1.0.5. A few minutes after loading the diskusage
applet, nothing appears anymore under the 'File Systems' submenu (this
is after first using the menu). I get similar behavior with another
applet I was experimenting with. I still see the menu, just none of its
menu items. Once the submenu disappears I start getting these errors
(and other similar ones):

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid unclassed pointer in cast to `GtkObject'

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmenu.c: line 520 (gtk_menu_popdown): assertion
`GTK_IS_MENU (menu)' failed.

Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1395 (gtk_widget_destroy):
assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed.

I have gtk1.2 and glib1.2 installed along with gnome-libs-1.0.8
any ideas?

thanks
richie