stripping binaries

Greetings all,

	Could someone give me a quick rundown on when it is or isn't good to
strip libraries?  I'm making packages and after stripping ORBit
libraries I can't compile gnome-libs because I get undefined references
to `impl_CosNaming_NamingContext__create'
.  However, if I leave the libraries unstripped they compile fine (but
are just incredibly large.  I tried the --strip-unneeded option with
strip but it still happened.  Now what I think is that I could strip
them after compiling everything but will that then cause some of the
stuff not to work when installed by the stripped packages?

-Brian