Re: RHAD Labs announces GNOME 1.0 RPMS for Red Hat Linux 5.2

Owen Taylor <otaylor@redhat.com> writes:

| Most of these packages have been on the FTP site for
| the last few days. A few packages were replaced yesterday
| (a quick look reveals *mc*, gnome-core, gnome-games, libgtop
| and libgtop-examples)

I downloaded the rpms and installed them, but it seems like it is the
1.0.4 gnome-core not 1.0.5. That is no matter though. Things begin to
look good...

What I really want to know is why the gnome-core rpms have a
dependency on the enlightenment Window Manager?  I cannot see any
reason why. Gnome works fine with WindowMaker for me. It probably does
with other WMs too.

The reason I ask is that I think dependencies should not be made by the
packagers preference of software unless there are some _real_
reasons. As I installed starbuck yesterday on my home computer I was
forced to install enlightenment to satisfy the dependency of the
gnome-core. When I finally got all installed I had to do a rpm -e to
remove enlightenment.

--
Preben Randhol                     «There are three things you can do
[randhol@pvv.org] 	            to a woman. You can love her, suffer