RE: Upgrading from RPM to SOURCE

> On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Hall wrote:
>
> > I personally think mixing RPMs and source packages is bad... It can
> be done
> > though.
>
> Is there a tool that allows you to tell the RPM database that you have
> installed something?  I would rather just lie to the database, and
> when I
> install a source tar, tell it I had installed the equivalent RPM,
> rather
> than using --nodeps all the time.  Then again knowing the correct RPM
> name
> for a given tar might not be easy (though if it has a spec file it is)
>
> -chris

There is of course the possibility to generate your own RPMs from source
tarballs and install that. That way you can let RPM manage your packages
and still compile everything on your own machine (at the cost of some
extra time to create the RPM).
This is what I'm planning to do, since I also want the newest packages
without waiting for a release of RPMs. I don't know yet the factor
'extra-time-to-create-the-RPM' at the current rate of packageupdates.

Just my $2.

Cheers,

Kurt Donkers

***
Pro is to con as progress is to Congress.
***