Library headaches with pixmap theme engine

I don't know whether it's appropriate on this list, but surely some
people hang around who can help me.

When I use a pixmap-based GTK+ theme, sometimes some applications
(most notably grun) bail out because they cannot find a library. E.g.
when I start grun, it may complain, depending on the current theme,
about undefined symboles (references into libz) in libpng.

I don't want to kludge around with LD_PRELOAD to fix this. I
understand that this is a problem of gmodule-loaded libraries, since I
never have these problem anywhere else. What can I do to fix this? Is
there a way to specify library dependencies to GTK+?

mawa
--
So being a network guru qualifies you to 'judge' all OSes, and to
predict that Linux won't work because Netscape fails on your machine?