Text boxes crashing in gmc

Hi there,

How can i fix my text boxes in programs like, gmc, xchat, and the gnome
config tool?  The problem is that when I click in them it seems to crash
the box.  The colors in the box get all screwy and I can't do anything
with it.  restarting the program clears them till next time I try to
click in there.

I've posted this to the list already but nobody responded.  I've been
using Linux for 4 years now and can't believe that nobody out there can
help me get this problem resolved.

here are some other errors gmc seems to give me:

IMLIB ERROR: SHM can't get SHM Identifier for Shared Pixmap Wrapper
             Falling back on Shared XImages
IMLIB ERROR: SHM can't get SHM Identifier for Shared XImage
             Falling back on XImages
IMLIB ERROR: Cannot allocate RAM for XImage data

Gdk-ERROR **: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter)

aborting...

Any suggestions are welcome.

thanks,
rob

my video card uses the Riva TNT chip
my installed packages...  if you need more let me know:

gnome-audio-1.0.0-4
gnome-core-devel-1.0.3-14
gnome-objc-1.0.1-1
gnome-objc-devel-1.0.1-1