RE: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

Please, stop this thread now, or take it off the list.

> >Yes.  On a modern Unix or Unix-like system, pretty much all programs
> >depend on outside code and libraries.
>
>  Well, it should not.

Why should it not? Why invent the wheel over and over again? Why write
something from scratch when it's done already, and tested and debugged and
stable? Why spend months at doing something that someone else from the open
source community has already done?

>  Ok, then we are speaking the same language. However, let me resume
>  the original problem, why do we need to compile 18+ source codes in
>  order to compile gnome-libs? I find it constraining.

Well, you don't need 18 of them. That list you sent is not right. It's for
an old version, not even a 1.x one. It clearly says gnome 0.99.0.

Not all those packages are needed.

freetype, fnlib, e:
are only needed if you want to use enlightenment, which is not requiered. I
use icewm for example, which is a great wm.

audiofile, esound:
Are only needed if you want sound support.

gtk-engines:
This is not needed. Only if you want to use gtk themes, like the pixmap
theme.

glib, gtk+, imlib, ORBit, gnome-libs, gnome-core, control-center:
These packages ARE needed.

gmc: needed if you want the desktop icons (and the filemanager)

Richard