Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Sergio Brandano wrote:
> > What would you combine?
>
>  I would be contented with a self contained gnome-lib.

What do you mean self contained?  What exactly would be in this tarball?

> ... please have a look at
> ftp://ftp.geo.net/pub/gnome/sources/README
> The core seems to be more than three files.

This README file makes no claims about the core of GNOME.  It is a list of
tarballs that some unidentified person is saying you "need" to install to
run an out-of-date version of GNOME.  The document is in error, many of
those are not needed for GNOME.  The document is also unofficial, not on a
GNOME site, and obsolete.  Why are you bringing it up?

> > You can't do this, because the other packages aren't part of GNOME.
> > They are support libaries.  They are released seperately.  The
> > gnome-libs package contains -- GASP -- all the files for gnome-libs.
> > The other files are not maintained by the GNOME people.

> Then GNOME depends on non-GNOME code

Yes.  On a modern Unix or Unix-like system, pretty much all programs
depend on outside code and libraries.

> and it's development is constrained by the non-GNOME people? Is that the
> case?

No, we don't find it constraining at all.  If something exists that is
both useful and Free Software, we use it.  If it doesn't exist, or it only
exists in a non-free form, we make it.  We aren't constrained by this
because we are a Free Software project.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef