Re: glibc problem

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Edward Dunagin wrote:
> i downloaded  glibc-2.0.7-29.src.rpm (don't remember what site) and
> found that by doing rpm -Uvh  glibc-2.0.7-29.src.rpm  it appeared to
> install...BUT when i uninstalled the older version of glibc i had to
> do a reinstall of glibc from my RH cd

rpm -Uvh automatically uninstalls all older rpms of that package name (and
any rpms listed in the obsoletes field).  Uninstalling after an rpm -Uvh
probably uninstalled the new version, not the old.  Luckily for you, bash
already had all the libc functions it needed in memory, and rpm is
statically linked.

> Installed glibc-2.1.1-3 and erveything came up fine with the newer
> version.
>
> because of this older version i encountered lots of errors when trying
> to install other rpms. ie failed dependcys on  libm.so.6.
>
> hoe this is helpful to some poor soul:-)

I agree, glibc 2.1.1 is a good thing.  Unfortunately, upgrading libc
without a package system (like RPM) is tricky, and a misstep can make a
system unusable for a while, so I wouldn't do a blanket recommendation for
all Linux users to upgrade.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef