Execution errors...

I just downloaded and installed about everything that I can understand I
need.  Everything compiled perfectly and installed properly.  Now, when I
run "panel" the panel works properly.  However, when I run gnome-session,
I get the following error:

gnome-session: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/local/lib/libgnomeui.so.32: undefined symbol:
gdk_imlib_get_cache_info

I get the same error if I run the gnome configuration tool from the gnome
panel.  Any ideas anyone?  Granted I am very new to Gnome (today
actually), and I would like to figure it all out.  Thanks in advanced.

Coplan                                  /"\
------                                  \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN
Immortal Coil.Tracking                   X        AGAINST HTML MAIL
                                        / \