Re: GNOME vs GNU gcc & glibc

If I can make an observation (and ask a question) on this thread, there seems
to be some confusion/miscomunication about things not working.
Spefically there seems to be confusion over the difference between a piece of
gnome software not compiling on a "platform", and a piece of gnome software
not working when linked against software compiled on a different "platform".

For instance, I assume that gnome will compile in full on most of the systems
that have been mentioned.

However say person A goes and compiles gnome-libs with gcc 2.7 and glibc 2.0
Then person B compiles some ranomd app (lets say gxtar ;) ) with egcs and
glibc 2.1
Next both of these people make binary RPM distributions of the packages
they built.

Now If I come along and grab person A's gnome-libs RPM, and person B's
gxtar RPM and install them both on my (glibc 2.0, egcs) system, I would
assume that there would be problems, symbols missing etc.

It sounds like at least some of the problems are caused by this happening.
Though obviously I might also be totally off base.

Assuming I am correct, what can be done other than assuring that you have a
complete build all from the same source?

I personally have had people come to me because the RPM I distribute for
gxtar is built with egcs, and will not work on their system which has the
original gcc RPMs from ftp.gnome.org.  Is there anything I can do other that
offer a RPM built with gcc also?

Thanks
-chris

Christopher Rogers      Stevens Institute of Technology
gandalf@pobox.com       http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf

I can prove anything with research except the truth.
                                                 -Unknown