Re: gnome-terminal:

>>> I'm used to the usual behaviour of the DEL key. The key is supposed
>>> delete the character at the cursor position and not the one that is
left
>>> to the cursor. I know, it's stupid, but it is just my habit by now
to use
>>> the DEL-key to edit commands from the history. So where can I change
>>> this?
>>
>> Go to the preferences page, and click on the "Swap DEL/Backspace"
>> keys.
>
>This does NOT work!
>I too would like to know how to make:
>1) the delete key delete the character under the cursor and then stay
in
>   position and not move backward like the backspace key.
>2) the backspace key delete by moving backwards, i.e. to the 'left'.
>
>Where and how can you configure this.
>
>Neither under SuSE nor under RH 5.2 have I been able to find a way to
do
>this in gnome-terminal/bash.
>It works perfectly in for example gedit.

I'm having the opposite problem. My backspace key works as DEL in GNOME
dialogs and gedit, but fine in terminals (including GNOME terminal) and
xjed. Is there a GNOME or GTK-specific key binding I can change, because
I don't want to swap backspace and DEL in .xinitrc and break my working
programs?

 - Michael Rogers