Re: Why Gnome RPMS need to work with RH 5.2

glibc2.1 is supposed to be backward compatible.  That is why it has the
same soname as glibc2.0.  Applications that rely on internal symbols of
glibc2.0 (which no applications are supposed to do) may break (the only
one I heard about was staroffice, and they were asked not to use those
symbols).

If you want to make sure that gnome runs on your system, try building from
the source tarballs (or make your own personal RPMs, which is what I do).
This way you don't have to worry about these version problems.

James Henstridge.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/