Re: Sound Problem

On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 05:24:02PM -0400, Yasushi Shoji wrote:
> From: Ronald de Man <deman@win.tue.nl>
> Subject: Re: Sound Problem
> Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 23:06:01 +0200
>
> > > ESD sounds broken to me. It ought to be releasing /dev/dsp when I logout
> > > and clearly it isn't. I'll report it to the bugs site.
> >
> > What do you mean exactly by logging out? Is esd still running after
> > you log out and back in?
>
> it's a daemon.  it should be running all the time, shouldn't it?
> i'm running esd in rc.local when my system boots

If you run it as user, it should exit at log out.
If you simply leave X (or gnome), there is no real reason for esd
to stop running, since esd is not a gnome-only program. But when
started by gnome-session, it makes sense to have it stop when
gnome-session exits.

I guess I should check esd's behaviour for myself, but I don't
want to leave X right now, so I'll do that later.

Ronald