Re: (very) annoying gnome-session behaviour

+++ Fri, Apr 02, 1999 at 03:24:18PM +0200 +++
Philippe Moutarlier e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> Harold Campbell <hcamp@muerte.net> writes:
>
> > Philippe Moutarlier wrote:
> > >
> > > Onve before I used gnome-session, then stopped and forgot why ...
> > >
> > > Now I remember, and it doesn't look like it is getting better : in some cases (realaudio player for
> > > example), gnome session prevents some applications menu to work. The menus popup but the mouse is
> > > unable to select on them. The weird thing is : this is not due to gtk/gnome or the window manager.
> > > If I start the panel manually, there is no pb.
> >
> > I've seen this behavior for years. It has nothing to do with
> > gnome-session.
> >

> Well, what does it have to do with then ? It only happens (at least to me) with gnome-session . And it makes
> gnome-session virtually unusable if you intend to use some  other gui's application.
> Should not be this addressed someways ?
>
> The pb now is that gnome is relying more and more on gnome session. Looks like since now one cannot
> log out the panel if gnome session is not running

Well, something has got to me the magic process, hasn't it. We've got
three possibilities, basically:

- Make the window manager magic, as it's usually done. Minus: you
  can't change your WM on-the-fly anymore.

- Make the panel magic. Advantage: you can log out via the panel.
  Disadvantage: should the panel crash, you're screwed.

- Make gnome-session magic. Advantage: you can change your WM and
  crashing apps get respawned. Disadvantage: sometimes it messes
  something up...

I think gnome-session does its job quite well, and BTW, I don't feel
like our problem is anyhow related to gnome-session directly. You
mentioned RealAudio Player; perhaps it's that gnome-session starts ESD
and thus blocks your /dev/dsp and RealAudio somehow doesn't digest
that too well?

mawa
--
There was a young girl of Mobile,