[Fwd: Gnome1.0 RPMs]

Michael asked me to forward his response to my query back to the list, apparently it bounced on him..
Scott Holmes                       http://www.pacificnet.net/~sholmes
                -Run Linux-        sholmes@pacificnet.net

  Database Programmer/Analyst                     Passport 4GL
  HTML Composer                                   Informix 4GL, SQL
      There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
             than are dreamt of in your philosophy

Scott Holmes enscribed thusly:
> I down loaded the rpms from ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/gnome-1.0/redhat ;
> then tried rpm -Uvh *
> It reported back that several libraries are missing.  I've been
> searching around for them on both the gnome site and the Red Hat site.
> The searches indicate they exist but upon going to the variousa mirrored
> locations, they do not.  These are libguile.so.2, libglib-1.1.so.3,
> libgnome.so.0, libgnomeui.so.0, and libgdk-1.1.so.2

	There also seem to be some serious problems with the ones that
are there.  If I followed some other discussions about compatibility
problems with glibc 2.1 vs glibc 2.0 correctly, I'm lead to believe
that someone made the mistake of preparing some of those rpm's on
a glibc 2.1 system and now we get unsatisfied externals out of some
of the them.  After making the mistake of installing the latest
gnome-1.0 rpm's I discovered that I could no longer link a lot
of apps like GPhoto or nessus without getting one or two unsatisfied
externals regarding "*frame*".  Someone mentioned that these are
glibc 2.1 symbols.  I had to go back and recompile glibc and gtk+
from scratch and install them to fix the problems.

	In other words, the gnome rpm's may be in real bad shape.
Use with caution...

> Any help in locating these as rpms would be greatly appreciated.

	Help in FIXING them would also be appreciated...

> Thanks
>
> --
> Scott Holmes                       http://www.pacificnet.net/~sholmes
>                 -Run Linux-        sholmes@pacificnet.net
>
>   Database Programmer/Analyst                     Passport 4GL
>   HTML Composer                                   Informix 4GL, SQL
>       There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
>              than are dreamt of in your philosophy

	Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com