gnome compliant window managers?

I've been trying to find out / userstand what gnome compliant window
manager means. I've read the FAQ but that doesn't help. I mean it doesn't
explain in practice what it means - like;

How do I get a WM to recognize the panel and stop placing dialog boxes
underneath it - this is a pet peave of mine: surely the best place for the
shutdown or logout yes / no box is the middle of the screen?

Is there an automated way to make the WM menu match my gnome menu?

There's probably other questions that i can't think of right now.

If people want to throw stuff at me (if there is any) I'd be happy to
paste together a webpage. It'd be more from the user 'getting WM X to work
with Gnome' point of view but I'd be happy to include technical stuf as
well. (I'll even write something in Lyx-sgml to go into the FAQ ;-) If
somebody is already doing this I'd be happy to help out.

Oh, before I forget, I use (in no particular order) e, icewm, fvwm2gnome -
tell me if others work better with gnome

Paul

 Paul Cooper           | pgc@maths.warwick.ac.uk
 Phd Research Student  | 01203 523523 ext. 26320
 and Computer Support  |
 Room 60               |
 Mathematics Institute |
 University of Warwick |