Re: Win vs. UNIX usability (Was: Re: gnome-terminal idea)

> > That seems a good idea.
> >
> > One thing that puzzles me about directories is that there are lots
> > of them where packages can potentially be put in, eg
> > /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /opt, /usr/local/freeware, etc,
> > etc.
> >

> > I think it would be nice if there was a standard that packages in
> > Linux by default went in a particular directory, eg
> > /opt/<name-of-package>

No, beleive me - it's bad. Things are going from a tradition:
Standalone packages, stable, coming from .rpm, distributions goes into
/usr/lib, /usr/bin etc.
Manually build packages goes to /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib etc.
And /opt/ is used for BIG multipackaged programs, f.e. /opt/gnome,
/opt/kde
I like this.

--
          Andrew