Re: merging Electric Eyes and GIMP

On 26 Sep 1998, Raja R Harinath wrote:
> Adrian Likins <adrian@gimp.org> writes:
> > > how about this instead: we keep eeyes as it is, but take the color editor
> > > and make a gimp plugin out of it, and add to it (the plugin and the
> > > standalone) until they're as featureful as xv's color editor, which lets
> > > you do all these things:
> > > - RGB modification (eeyes has this, and done much better, imho)
> > > -overall modification (eeyes has this too)
> > > -alter specific entries in the colormap
> > > -saturation gauge
> > > -alter the value of "white"
> > > -HSV modification (whatever that is :)
> > > -manual adjustment of color graph (which is no big deal considering eeyes'
> > >  awesome color adjustment already, the only reason a manual graph would be
> > >  better would be if you were infinitely picky, or wanted to use
> > >  y=x(sin(x)) as your graph or something)
> >
> > 	Gimp already does 90% of that on its own. Add in a couple of
> > plugins, and it does all of it. I dont quite see the point in going
> > though the trouble of making it a plugin for whatever little extra
> > value you might get.
>
> I guess he is more concerned about the UI than anything. `ee' has a nice
> UI for colour adjustment which may be an useful addition to the colour
> handling capabilities of `gimp'.
>
> - Hari

That is precisely my point.  Right now on my screen I have the same image
open in the gimp and in eeyes, edited to look about the same be each.  The
difference?  The alterations I performed took about 30 seconds in eeyes,
and about 150 seconds in gimp, not counting the time it took me to figure
out what menu item to choose (image->colors->curves), and then how to use
it.
   It has been pointed out that gimp can do as much as eeyes in the way of
color editing, and so making eeyes a plugin would only overlap in
functionality. Sooooooo, my point it that if we bring eeyes up to xv's
level of functionality, we can toss the existing gimp plugins for this,
seeing as how they can accomplish the same task, but in 5x the time.
   I suppose the real reason no one really sees my point of view is that
the only image editing I do is color adjustment.  Period.  In general, I
find the gimp to be extremely difficult to use, but that's probably
because I'm not a graphic artist.  But even the expert users of gimp
should see the potential advantage of a sub-interface that allows them to
perform a task in 1/5 the time.

					*MoNsTeR*
					KNOWLEDGE IS POWER