Re: Win vs. UNIX usability (Was: Re: gnome-terminal idea)

Ar Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 03:52:30PM -0500, scriofa John R Sheets:
> Yes.  A lot of the reason that windows software is sooo easy to install
> is the complete lack of security.  Any new software package can
> conceivably tromp on an old, even unrelated package (or even uninstall
> it if the owner is particularly ornery :c).  As soon as you introduce
> security and file permissions into the picture, installations suddenly
> get more complex.  There's no way around this simple fact.  UNIX
> installs will never be as smooth (and sloppy) and brainless as windows
> installs.

 Heh. make install has often installed over old libs, rendering existing
apps that used older versions of the libraries unusable.

 Disturbing thought. Sun Microsystems have licensed the InstallShield
software, and are going to incorporate it into upcoming releases of
Solaris.

 Stupid people and stupid programmers can destroy your system no matter
what operating system it is. The difference is the amount of intercession
the install method gives you. In general, unix software is packaged on it's
own, an assumes you are able to decide what libraries you install. Software
on windows assumes you don't know anything about libraries, and comes with
it's own. The difference is the programmers perception of the lowest common
denominator.

Kate

--
"I am Grey. I stand between the candle and the star.
    We are Grey. We stand between the darkness and the light."

John "Kate" Looney, Horizon Open Systems. Sun Microsystems distributor and
Support centre. Hotline: [+353 1 8055700] Web http://www.hos.horizon.ie/