Re: gnome-terminal idea

On Wed, Sep 23, 1998 at 05:32:13PM -0400, Tim Moore wrote:
> > I think the BeOS again has a much better UI in this area also. They
> > have a 'taskbar' but they list items by application horizontally, and
> > then by full document name after you click. As it turns out, Nextstep
> > 4.1 alpha did this first though.
>
> Dan Kaminsky had a similar proposal:
> http://www.best.com/~effugas/Constructs/Minbars/minbars.html

Neat idea. It certainly would be easier to find the Netscape window
I'm looking for with a thumbnail image. Although the thumbnils for my
minimized windows would often fill up the whole screen. :)

> But even better than grouping by app is grouping by task. This is
> difficult to do automatically, but it's not to hard to guess that a new
> window ispart of the same task as the one it was launched from, and let
> the user correct this when it's wrong.

Agreed... although this sounds pretty much like the virtual desktop..

> > I had a very similar
> > situation in a past job using VHDL simulation tools. I just separated
> > each task into a desktop, and switched between the desktops. The only
> > thing someone could have done to improve this process was made a way
> > for me to logout and log back in and keep the tools running and
> > arranged the way I wanted them.
>
> Well GNOME has that, too, though I've had trouble getting it to work very
> well.

Actually... GNOME does not have that. You will notice that I chose to
say "...keep the tools running...". I used the word "running" for a
reason. I really meant it. I want my login/logout process to mimic
"connecting and disconnecting" from a session. Much like when I telnet
in I "connect" to my 'screen' session, and when I logout I
"disconnect" but I never close the session.

--
David Jeske (N9LCA) + http://www.chat.net/~jeske/ + jeske@chat.net