Respitory?

Hawba!

In some of the letters I've been reading, people has been talking about
*The Respitory*
Until today, this word didn't ring any bell...
...and then it came to me: could this be an equalent to the Registry in NT?
<terrified scream>
PLEASE, NOO!!!

<pause>
Okay...
Perhaps I should begin with explaining my point of view, and the background
of it.
(So that nobody missunderstands me, thus preventing me from behaving like a
jerk a second time...)

First of all: I don't know a thing about The Respitory, because I've spent
most of my time trying to setup CC* instead of examining Gnome, so if I say
things about the respitory that isn't true, please correct me.
(* CC is CodeCrusader, not CocaCola :)

And now: Why does Liss dislike the registry?
Actually, I what I dislike is the kind of registry that is global to all
applications.
The global registry in NT (&W95) is a neverending scource of strange
behavour, and occassional crasches if you plan to use your computer to
anything more than word processing!

In the older days, you had a setupfile togeather with the executable. This
was your program, and if you wanted to modify it (say, move it to another
harddrive, because you had run out of space), >>at least, you allways knew
where to find the setup<<.
When using NT, you will receive HellOnEarth(TM) if you would try to do
anything like this, unless you are able to make your changes through some
kind of installation program.
- Why? Because NT programs are ALL (ok, allmost all) storing their setup
parameters in ONE HUGE registry, at SEVERAL locations.
Try find them all...

:-(
- Why couldn't NT have a registry interface instead (a common DBserver),
that you could use to manipulate different, program specific setup/registry
files?
I would allways know where to find parameters for a specific program, and -
even better - in the case of a harddrive crasch, setupfiles on other
harddrives would still work!

Ok...
<conclusion>
I really hope that Gnome hasn't adopted the NT way, with one registry for
all applications.
I hope, that Gnome instead offers either a standard DBinterface or a
standard script parser that programs can use for their own setup purposes.
I hope, that this allso applies to applications that are considered part of
the GnomeCore (administration tools, file managers, Baboon etc).

Anyway; please, please, please ... at least try avoiding this
single-huge-global-registry-monster!!!

mvh
// Liss
liss@ydab.se