Applications can't talk to the panel?

Hi.  Sorry to bother you all with this.

I have a RedHat 5.1 system, but I'm running a mostly vanilla
2.0.34 kernel (ie without RedHat's patches) because RedHat's
patches stop me from using the Cmgr Plug'n'play patches which
get my soundcard working.

I've been using Gnome 20 quite happily, and enjoying SameGnome
quite a lot. :)

I decided to install Gnome 28, downloaded the RPMs, installed
them, but now gnome-session announces SESSION_MANAGER=local/sable.
demon.co.uk:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1068,tcp/sable.demon.co.uk:2806, and
then just hangs around doing nothing. Oh, the xmessage command
I have in .gnome/session pops up, so I know it's thinking,
but that's about it - panel doesn't start.

(It complains about not having icewm if I use the
/usr/share/default.session file.. where would I find icewm?)

Is it right that it should be trying to use my machine's network
address? I only connect periodically to the net. Do I need to
tell it to use localhost, or is that what local/ indicates?

If I export that SESSION_MANAGER variable, and try to start
panel up, it coredumps.

If I start panel up on its own, it comes up with this output:

$ panel
message: Initializing CORBA for panel

** WARNING **: Attempt to remove connection 0x8099c10 - not on active
list

** WARNING **: file orbit-glue.c: line 589 (panel_corba_gtk_init):
assertion "ev._major == CORBA_NO_EXCEPTION" failed.
Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4

... and panel applications can't link with it:

Foot->Panel->Add Applet->Amusements->Fish

started applet, pid: 1087
message: Initializing CORBA for applet

Saving to [/panel.d/default/]
Saving session: 1 2 3 4
  [long pause]

** ERROR **: Could not communicate with the panel

If someone could point me in the direction of something I
could read about the config files, that'd be useful - using
the .gnome files which were written from Gnome 20 doesn't
seem to work (apart from the xmessage which got in there
somehow, but which I found too useful to remove. :)

Is there something special about RedHat's kernels which makes
Corba work for them only? I'd hate to have to choose between
my soundcard and Gnome.

If the only solution is downloading the whole of Gnome's source
and compiling it, I'm game, but how long does the download take?

Oh, I also get that

gnomine: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.0: undefined symbol: GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR

error other people on the list mention from time to time,
has that been tracked down? I have

$ nm libgnomeui.so.0.26.0 | grep GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR
         U GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR

and...

$ for i in /usr/lib/*gtk* ; do echo $i ; nm $i |grep GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR;
done
/usr/lib/libgtk-1.1.a
000001b4 D GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR
000001a0 D GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLORMAP
0000018c D GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR_CONTEXT_MODE
/usr/lib/libgtk-1.1.so, libgtk-1.1.so.1, libgtk-1.1.so.1.0.0
000e554c D GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR
000e5538 D GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLORMAP
000e5524 D GTK_TYPE_GDK_COLOR_CONTEXT_MODE

Thanks,

Tim Baverstock.