document style templates

> For documents transmitted to other users we should include a
> copy of the ".dot" file in the document itself.
>
> This is going to give rise to interesting problems when the
> document is  transmitted to an user who has a ".dot" file
> conflicting with the copy embedded in the document.

In MSWord 95 (haven't tried '97 yet) there are just two options: either
all styles are linked to the .dot file or they are all internal.

In both cases the behaviour is quite incosistent and annoying. You never
really know if the styles look the way they do 'cause there look like
that in the template or they are internal. And of course you never know
what's gonna happen when you copy that file to a friend.

There's also another annoyance: Word has dozens of builtin styles.
No-one knows exactly which ones are saved when you save your document:
only new user defined? user defined + changed builtin? maybe all of
them? and maybe ... user defined are inside the file and builtins are in
the template? or maybe in Normal.dot?

That's horrible.

The right way is:

an easy and clear style manager that list all styles and shows where
each one sits and whether they are linked to the template or saved
locally.

--
Amir Elisha' Aharoni, the Original Israelite
mailto:amir_e_a@netvision.net.il icq:3816214

now playing:

This may seem a bit weird,
but that's okay, because it is weird.
(Larry Wall, official Perl documentation)