A Contest: Caastles in the Sand

Since a lot of people on this list have a lot of ideas of what a
word processor should look like, and since a lot of these ideas are
contradictory, I propose that we begin "building" a lot of WPs.  I
don't mean actually coding, but rather coming up with several different
designs.  Good programmers are supposed to write out a complete design
before beginning implementation anyway, right?

I hereby announce the creation of the Bob project.  The goal of the Bob
project is to design a GNOME word processor, code-named Bob.  I will
be writing up the design of Bob and submitting it to the list RSN.  As
people offer comments, I might or might not agree with them, so I might
or might not add them to the Bob design doc.  Other people are free to join
the Bob project if they agree with my general vision of how a word
processor should be written.

If you disagree with my judgements on this matter, then begin your own
project.  I would love to read other people's thoughts on how to do this,
and to steal from their ideas.  Likewise, other people should feel free
to lift ideas from the Bob project.

Hopefully, this will allow us to discuss this matter a little more easily.
Rather than having people say, "No, The Gnome Word Processor must not do
things that way!", you can say, "That is a mistake for reason foo, and my
project offers a better way, with the following results."

In any creative endeavor, there are differences of opinion.  Let's embrace
them and see if we can, by discussing the differences, come to consensus
around the best choices for a word processor.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net