a newbie question

Hi,
	Ok, g(uys)(irls), I'm quite sure I'm passing over the  solution to my
problem in the sources I've been looking in, but I'm pretty new at Linux,
and still at the not entirely sure of what I should be doing...perhaps one
(or more ) of you may be able to help.
	I recently installed RedHat 5.1 (Manhattan) from a set of discs called
"PowerTools". Gnome was included on it with an installer program. First I
installed it with that utility, but it wouldn't complete an install until I
added two files, which I found on the SRPMS file. (xlockmore, and I cant
recall the name of the other one, right now) I installed them with rpm, and
then the gnome installer did its thing until completion.
	I tried exiting and re-entering "X", and then I even (because I'm way too
used to windows) rebooted. No apparent change in fvwm. Then I used Netscape
to browse the intro to gnome and release notes. I added the lines:
Panel &
background-properties -init &
keyboard-properties -init &
mouse-properties -init &
fvwm2 -f .fvwm2rc.gnome

to the end of an initrc file tat contained the text:
nxterm -geometry 80x24+153-115 +ut &
xfm -geometry 265x515+565-130 &
nxterm -geometry 80x24+438+47 &
 I was dinking around with quite a variety of possibilities, so I tried
altering the initrc in the /root folder and the /home folder. I also put the
fvwm2rc.gnome file in those same directories . It still doesn't work!
 Please help....tylenol's almost gone....
			Kevin Duff