Re: metadata

>>>>> "Christopher" == Christopher Curtis <ccurtis@ee.fit.edu> writes:

Christopher> Having a 1:1 correlation between a data key and its data
Christopher> seems very limiting to me, which the enumerations I hope
Christopher> addresses.

I don't understand this comment.

The data attached to a key is arbitrary.  You could store a list of
stuff there if you want.

>> "Gnome.Open"                Command used to open this file

Christopher> Especially in cases like this.  I would want (for example):

Christopher> Gnome.Open.0 -> Gnome.Open.3
Christopher> Gnome.Open.1 -> "emacs $this"
Christopher> Gnome.Open.2 -> "php -cgi < $this > $1"
Christopher> Gnome.Open.3 -> "netscape $this"

I don't understand this either.  Why would you want 3 ways to open a
file?  Remember, you can always load the file into any program you
want.  This is just setting the defaults for programs that want to
know how to open the file without popping up some unfriendly dialog.

>> "Gnome.Open.NeedTerminal" Boolean: if set, the program needs a
>> terminal to run, false otherwise.

Christopher> Hmm.  Don't like it.  Don't know that I could come up
Christopher> with anything better, but this seems like it should
Christopher> belong in a set of flags.

This should be hidden in the program that is used to actually launch
the program.  The actual edit request should happen via CORBA.

Christopher> "Actions"?  I presume these are either global or
Christopher> type-based?  Sounds okay (same arguments as above wrt
Christopher> numbering).  How will they be overridden?  Eg, will you
Christopher> be able to do a:

Christopher> *: Action.Print: "lpr -P$PRINTER $this"
Christopher>  as defaults, and
Christopher> *.a: Action.Print: "nm $this | lpr -P$PRINTER"

Metadata processing works in phases.  You can have metadata attached
directly to a file, to a regular expression which matches files, or to
a file's type.  There are also various ways of determining a file's
type.

Christopher> If it's broken up on the granularity of an individual
Christopher> file, does it go into the global frame or become a
Christopher> Gnome.Action.Print...?

I don't understand this question.

Tom