Re: Word Processors

Maybe we (I) should look it to useing Maxwell's rtf import/export
code to write import/export plugins for PW.
And fix the little bugs in PW, like it ignoring the last charactor
of the selection. I really like it's UI (when compiled with the
neXtaw toolkit) better than Maxwell's, it's cleaner and there is much
less of it to port <grin>. I haven't looked at the code yet.

A Quick Comparison of a couple-a-three of Word Processors

* = Not real sure, but this is my Guess
+ = My personal opinon

	GWP	MAXWELL		PW
CVS	Yes	Yes         No (*)
Toolkit GTK+	Motif/(Qt?) awt and varients
Desktop GNOME   KDE?        NONE(Yet)
Plugins? Yes	No          YES!
Usable  No(+)	Yes         Yes(+)
Formats Few     Good        Few
Active  ?	Yes			Think So
Tables  ?       Yes         Maybe use Siag as plugin and use PW as plugin inside of pw?

(BTW active means actively developed)

I haven't received an answer yeah or nah on GWP status (I think
the author maybe buzy on Gnome-Mozilla?)
I would like to work on one of the these soon (Still doing pharmacy).
I still haven't looked into Maxwell's CVS stuff (the 0.5.3 is a
nightmare, but the author says the build is cleaner from CVS).
I haven't looked into PW's code (or talked to the author) but it's
been GPL and open from the start.
GWP doesn't seem active and I don't "get" it's UI.
Maxwell has the BEST RTF import/export of all three. Since the
other accept plugins, maybe I could port max's rtf to plugins for
both.

The real issue in the upcoming document model. GNOME users will prob
want compound documents. This means if we have more than one WP
gnome-i-fied, then they should IMHO be able to view/edit each others
files. With GWP and PW, this is should not be a problem (aren't plugins
great) -- The gnome version of PW (non-existant right now) would need
ext's to the architecture for BABOON.I think we should follow gnumeric
example and use XML for the 'standard gnome WP doc' (now I'm saying
 things people allready know :) ).

Maybe a good course would be to have multiple WPs and one 'standard
GNOME WP document format'. After all, GNOME supports multiple human and machine-readable langauges. I don't know, fodder for debate.