Re: ICQ Replacement?

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

> I have one quesion regarding this.  Would it be bad to make it more
> IRC-Network like, allowing the communion of servers to nullify the need
> for having the user's home server name at all?
>
> This way, you only need their #/nick/etc and *any* of the connected
> servers.

Yes i think it would be, since you would rapidly run out of nicks or
numbers, if it ever gets popular. :)
Consider email addresses: username@hostname.  These seem to be working
pretty well, despite the massive increase in the number of people with
email addresses.
I suppose some sort of search facility would be useful, so that one can
find a user without knowing their full username and address, but that
can come later...
Anyway, is anyone interested in helping me on this?  Please email me if
you're interested. (i personally have no idea how i would go about doing
something like this :)

KS