gnome-canvas, imlib, zoom

Hello,

I´m using the gnome-canvas to overlay polynoms over a large image. To
verify that my algorithm is computing the right paramteres for the
polynoms I want to be able to zoom into the canvas. I used the
gnome_canvas_set_pixels_per_unit function. But that resize the whole
image in memory using tons of space and is a very slow process. Is
there a posibility to create a zoomed view only of an interested area
(like xzoom) without loosing the fine grained detail of the line
objects?

If not, is this planned?

Thanks
Dirk