Possible Gnome name problems?

A friend who just found mention of Gnome on the web pointed out to me
there may be a problem with the use of the name 'Gnome'.

As I understand it, we can use the name Gnome providing there's no-one
else in the same area who uses it already, so that no confusion is
caused.

Unfortunately, as he pointed out, there's a company called Gnome in
the UK, who've been writing X servers for many years now.  Not only do
they use the name 'Gnome', they also use it in association with
computer software and with X.  Is this going to cause us a problem?

--
Ian.