Re: What is "WARNING: shmget failed!"

> I think this an error from gtk+1.0.5, but I'm not sure.  This error happens when
> I run programs that use gtk, such as Redhat's control-panel. I've seen
> it in the console after typing "panel" as well.
>
> It doesn't cause any problems I can see, yet, but I was just curious.
>
> Paul E. Johnson                      pauljohn@ukans.edu
> Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
> University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
> Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700

It means that a program asked for a shared memory segment but didn't
get one, probably due to the fact that too many segment had been  allocated
already. As far as I understand, some things in X can be sped up
a lot by using shared memory segments, but most programs work fine
without them. Typing 'ipcs -m' gives you a (probably pretty long)
list of shm's. You can remove one by 'ipcrm shm xxxx' where xxxx is
one of the numbers in the list.

I've had this problem too a couple of times, and my guess would be
that it's a bug in imlib. But that's just a guess and I don't really
know what I'm talking about. It might already have been solved in CVS,
since I haven't seen this problem occurring the last days.

Ronald