Re: yagirc

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Spauldo da Hippie Elf wrote:

> Whilst running yagirc for the first time, I connected to irc.linpeople.org
> (the place to be!) and was chatting along about mail clients or somesuch,
> when yagirc suddenly died.  This was left on the terminal where I ran X:
>
>  Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkwidget.c: line 1346 (gtk_widget_destroy):
>  assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed.
>  Gdk-Message:
>  ** ERROR **: sigsegv caught

What were you doing when it sigsegv'd?  Where you just chatting or were
you doing something in particular?

> The connect button stayed pressed, and the window did nothing.  I dunno if
> this is a normal feature of gdb or not, since I know beans about it.  Just
> thought I'd mention it.
<SNIP>
> And it worked OK for a while.  Sent a file through dcc, everything went
> pretty normal.  Nice chat for about 20 minutes or so, but I don't live for
> IRC these days, so I got tired and quit.
>
> When I typed /quit bah..., I got this:
>
>  Program received signal SIGUSR1, User defined signal 1.
>  0x402f11d4 in __syscall_sigsuspend ()
>  (gdb) continue
>  Continuing.
>
>  Program exited normally.
>  (gdb)

This is caused by the use of pthreads.  Don't worry about it, it is
completely normal.  We are currently working on a way to do nonblocking
net connects using fork() instead of threads.

> I dunno how to backtrace or anything, but since it didn't crash, I didn't
> try to find out either.

Just type bt in gdb.

> Hope this helps whoever writes yagirc, or someone who is interested in
> fixing it (I would, but alas, I cannot code...  perhaps I can create new
> icons for the buttons or something.  BTW, a font selector would be a nice
> addition, for the people who hang out in ascii-art channels and stuff...
> variable-width fonts seem a bit mIRCish to me, for some reason...)

The font selector has been on our list of things to do.  I can't say when
we will get to it.

Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

Any wizard bright enough to survive for five minutes was also bright enough
to realise that if there was any power in demonology, then it lay with the
demons. Using it for your own purposes would be like trying to beat mice to
death with a rattlesnake.
        -- Why summoning demons is a Bad Idea
           (Terry Pratchett, Eric)