Re: gettext: -lintl vs libintl.a

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> Question:
>   I have gnu gettext installed on both my Linux and HPUX system.  On the
> HPUX system, everything builds fine, and it uses (without me telling it
> --with-gettext-here in configure) the gettext in the intl directory (ie.
> gnome-core/intl)
>
> On my linux box at home, it does not, and EVERY program that uses any of
> the gettext functions causes it to bomb in the compilation.  I then have
> to add -lintl onto the LIBS line of the Makefile to get it to link.
>
> So, my question is
> 	a) why does the HP default to not using the installed library
> 	b) why does the linux default to it
> 	c) how can I make my Linux box work one way or the other without
> 		having to edit Makefiles or remember configure parms.

I can't answer your question but I can give some more information.
For me it looks like gettext support (namely libintl.a) is included
in current versions of glibc (libc6).  If you're using this library,
you don't need to add -lintl anymore.

Regards,

	Joey

--
The only stupid question is the unasked one.